Friday, March 17, 2017

Chevy Stevens

Chevy Stevens's novels include Still Missing, Never Knowing, and That Night.

Her new novel is Never Let You Go.

Recently I asked Stevens about what she was reading. Her reply:
I always have a few books on the go and I switch back and forth, depending on my mood at the end of the night. This week I am reading Owen Laukkanen’s The Forgotten Girls and David Joy’s The Weight Of This World. I am doing an event with them soon in Texas and they are excellent writers, gritty, raw, with riveting characters. They are great guys, so it should be a lot of fun.

I’m also reading a couple of memoirs—two things I adore, traveling and memoirs. First up, Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight: An African Childhood, by Alexandra Fuller. I love an exotic location, and Africa is certainly that. The author doesn’t pull any punches when it comes to describing her family, but somehow you love them the same ways she does, even if they are dysfunctional. Next up is Bill Bryson, who wrote A Walk in the Woods. I have a few samples of his books and as soon as I’m caught up on my other reading, I’m digging in. I immediately enjoyed his voice and humorous style.

Speaking of humor, I have been reading chapters of The Unmumsy Mum Diary, by Sarah Turner when I need something to pick me up and give me a good laugh. I loved her first book The Unmumsy Mum, for it’s British humor and completely hysterical stories of what it’s really like to be a mother. It was a breath of fresh air to read someone who seemed to be feeling all the same things as me, while I was trying to balance writing with motherhood, and not losing myself in the meantime.
Visit the official Chevy Stevens website.

The Page 69 Test: Never Let You Go.

--Marshal Zeringue