Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Meg Mitchell Moore

Meg Mitchell Moore began writing as soon as she figured out how the cursive 'T' and 'F' were different and hasn’t stopped since. Her novel are The Arrivals, So Far Away, The Admissions, and the newly released The Captain's Daughter.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Moore's reply:
I always have at least two books going at once, one on audio, which I listen to when I’m in the car (often) or doing mundane household tasks (also, alas, often). I started this practice not so long ago, maybe a couple of years, and I’m astounded and delighted by how many more books I get through in a given year. If I had my druthers, I’d be sitting around reading for hours every day, but three busy kids, a 10-month-old puppy and deadlines for my own work make that nearly impossible. Currently I’m listening to The People We Hate at the Wedding by Grant Ginder. If the title wasn’t enough to make me cotton to this book, the multiple point-of-view narration (my favorite kind), in-depth characterization, dark humor and tight storytelling would do it.

With my youngest daughter, who is a huge reader but still consents to read with me at night, I’m reading The Girl Who Drank the Moon. We are loving it but she had the nerve to go off to sleepaway camp for a few weeks, leaving me hanging. When she returns we’ll dive right back in.

I am a sucker for good middle grade fiction, and I recently picked up a copy of The Nest (no, grownups, not that The Nest, which I also loved) by Kenneth Oppel. I read this in one sitting. It grabbed me right away and didn’t let go—it’s a psychological thriller for younger readers (but not too young, I had a dream or two the night I finished!) that was tauter and more suspenseful than anything I’ve read in a long time.

Finally, I’m partway through a galley of a debut novel called Now I’m Found, by Amy Mason Doan. It's about two girlhood friends who haven't spoken since high school but reunite for a grown-up scavenger hunt, and I’m really loving it.
Visit Meg Mitchell Moore's website.

--Marshal Zeringue