Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Margaret Mizushima

Margaret Mizushima is the author of the critically acclaimed Timber Creek K-9 mystery series. Her books include Killing Trail, Stalking Ground, and Hunting Hour. Her new book, the fourth in the series, is Burning Ridge.

Last month I asked Mizushima about what she was reading. Her reply:
I’m typically reading both fiction and nonfiction, and the book I pick up depends on which room I’m in when I decide to sit and rest. In nonfiction, I’ve lately focused on books about writing and books about childhood trauma (to help with the character arc of my protagonist Deputy Mattie Cobb).

Here are the books you would find scattered around my home today:

South California Purples, by Baron R. Birtcher. I ordered this novel months ago and am finally able to grab a few moments to savor it. Set in 1973, this book captures the turmoil and transition of its era while it tells the story of an Oregon cattle rancher who is involuntarily conscripted to help law enforcement with the government auction of a herd of wild mustangs, despite the protest and interference of local citizens. Birtcher’s depiction of the times, landscape descriptions, and dialogue are a pleasure to read, and the book is a terrific example of action/adventure.

The Deepest Well: Healing the Long-Term Effects of Childhood Adversity, by Nadine Burke Harris, M.D. With powerful narrative and documentation, Harris describes her research into how childhood trauma can have lasting effects on adult health; she presents a medical screening assessment tool used to identify children at risk, and proposes innovative health interventions and treatments. I find this type of research fascinating, and my daughter who works in public health passed this book on to me.

Seven Steps on the Writer’s Path: The Journey from Frustration to Fulfillment, by Nancy Pickard and Lynn Lott. I attended a workshop presented by Nancy Pickard last week where I bought this book, so I haven’t had time to start it yet. Here is the endorsement from Harlan Coben: “Highly Recommended…Seven Steps is a terrific writer’s guide with practical advice and great wisdom for both the novice and veteran.” I hope to gain help achieving balance in my life for the step that I’m currently on in the writer’s journey. Can’t wait to dig in!
Visit Margaret Mizushima's website.

Coffee with a Canine: Margaret Mizushima & Hannah, Bertie, Lily and Tess.

My Book, The Movie: Burning Ridge.

--Marshal Zeringue