Friday, April 12, 2019

Dan Stout

Dan Stout lives in Columbus, Ohio, where he writes about fever dreams and half-glimpsed shapes in the shadows. His prize-winning fiction draws on his travels throughout Europe, Asia, and the Pacific Rim, as well as an employment history spanning everything from subpoena server to assistant well driller.

Stout's new novel is Titanshade.

Recently I asked the author about what he was reading. Stout's reply:
One of the great advantages of having a book released is that you suddenly find yourself with tons of great reading material! I’m incredibly lucky to have a stack of debut novels and ARCs on my bookshelves, and I’m working my way through them.

I just finished reading Katherine Forbes Riley’s The Bobcat, a beautifully constructed tale about trauma, sickness, and healing. Riley avoids all the tropes and minefields of this kind of story, and she has an unerring ability to always find the perfect word or turn of phrase. It’s really fantastic work. It releases in June, and I was lucky enough to get my hands on an advance copy.

Another recent sneak peek was A.G. Carpenter’s A Fistful of Dust. This book is an absolute gem. A weird western tale of betrayal and revenge in a sci-fi setting, Carpenter’s prose practically leaps off the page and grabs you by the throat. She’s immensely talented, and I expect that this will get a lot of buzz when it releases later this year.

I’m also getting ready to dive into Edgar Cantero’s novella, There's a Giant Trapdoor Spider Under Your Bed. I was introduced to Cantero’s work when I read Meddling Kids, and I can’t wait to tear into this one.
Visit Dan Stout's website.

My Book, The Movie: Titanshade.

--Marshal Zeringue