Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Liska Jacobs

Liska Jacobs holds an MFA from the University of California, Riverside. Her essays and short fiction have appeared in The Rumpus, Los Angeles Review of Books, Literary Hub, The Millions, and The Hairpin, among other publications.

Jacobs's new novel is The Worst Kind of Want.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Her reply:
I tend to read multiple books at once. These are the ones that I have on my nightstand currently, although my TBR pile is probably four times this size!

The Oblivion Seekers, Isabelle Eberhardt: I recently just finished reading this, but I’m including it because now I’m obsessed with Eberhardt. She was a female adventurer who traveled Africa dressed as an Arab man in the early 20th century, smoking opium, writing—doing pretty much whatever she liked and going wherever she pleased.

Hotel Du Lac, Anita Brookner: I picked this up because I’ve started working on my third novel, which will take place in a hotel. So far I’ve enjoyed the main character, Edith, a romance writer banished to an old but elegant hotel along the shores of Lake Geneva in the off season. It won the Booker prize in 1984, so the expectations are high.

The Man Who Saw Everything, Deborah Levy: I am a Levy fanatic. There are very few authors whose books I preorder, and Levy is one of them. It’s a beautiful novel about time and life and the imaginary borders we have surrounding identity and place.
Visit Liska Jacobs's website.

My Book, The Movie: The Worst Kind of Want.

The Page 69 Test: The Worst Kind of Want.

--Marshal Zeringue