Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Santa Montefiore

Santa Montefiore's novels include The Perfect Happiness and The Mermaid Garden.

A few weeks ago I asked her what she was reading. Her reply:
I took Simon Sebag-Montefiore’s book Jerusalem, The Biography to Mauritius on holiday with me. As I’m married to him, I promised I would read it – then rather wished I hadn’t because it’s very long, and if I didn’t like it I’d have to plough my way through it all because he’d know if I gave up after the first few pages. Well, my fears were totally blown away! I couldn’t put it down and declined his invitations to stroll up the beach. It’s a rollercoaster of stories about the people who conquered, ruled and visited Jerusalem. It’s bloody, violent, entertaining and enlightening. I’m sad that humanity have for centuries killed one another so barbarically in the name of God – and that the three main monotheistic religions have all been at each other’s throats when they’re all praying to the same God….tragic to put it mildly! Jerusalem might be the most religious city in the world, but it’s the least spiritual – there’s not a lot of love there….

I’m reading now a wonderfully dark and exotic novel called The Crimson Petal and The White by Michael Faber. My husband gave it to me after I watched the first episode of the TV adaptation and wanted to know more. I asked him so many questions he just tossed me the book and told me to find out for myself! I’m glad I took his advice. It’s beautifully written, like soft velvet! And a real page turner. The heroine is compelling and Victorian England fascinatingly murky and sinister…I’m enthralled.
Learn more about the book and author at Santa Montefiore's website.

The Page 69 Test: The Perfect Happiness.

The Page 69 Test: The Mermaid Garden.

My Book, The Movie: The Mermaid Garden.

--Marshal Zeringue