Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Dani Kollin

Dani Kollin is an advertising copywriter currently living in Los Angeles, California. He has also worked as a creative director and copywriter in the print, broadcast and new media fields. In addition to being happily married and the proud father of three children, Kollin is also an avid endurance cyclist and surfer. He and his brother Eytan are co-authors of The Unincorporated Man, The Unincorporated War, and The Unincorporated Woman.

Recently I asked him what he was reading. His reply:
Sex and Violence in Zero-G, Allen M. Steele

I just finished reading Allen M. Steele’s, Sex and Violence in Zero-G, a compilation of short stories about what the Hugo award winning author refers to as "Near Space." Because the stories all take place within relative spitting distance of Earth, they feel that much more real. In fact, one story, "Walking on the Moon" comes close to ranking up there with one of my favorite short stories of all time, Ray Bradbury's "The Wilderness." Both illustrate an aspect of the future that’s far more psychological than technical. And ultimately a good story needs to be visceral in order to succeed. Steele, like Bradbury before him, succeeds mightily with this collection.

The Citizen's Constitution: An Annotated Guide, Seth Lipsky

The Constitution is so often wielded around by politicians to shame the opposition into submission it might as well be rolled up and used as a spanking tool. I was bothered by my ignorance on the matter and determined to learn a little more about this pivotal document. Seth Lipsky’s book is essentially a Constitution for dummies. He takes every section of the U.S. Constitution and, in Talmudic fashion, patiently explains the history and context behind each. It’s a straightforward, unbiased and surprisingly delightful romp into our nation’s history.

Multiplex Fandango, Westin Ochse

There’s a good reason I'm a hard science fiction writer. I feel like the stuff Eytan and I write about is real enough that it actually can happen and that, for me at least, makes for a good read and even better visceral experience. Bram Stoker award-winning author Weston Oches’ Multiplex Fandango, a collection of his best short stories forced me to reconsider. This collection is kind of like having a drink that someone's slipped a ruffie into. One minute you're ambling along to the nice prose and lovely setting, the next you're being mind-#$#!ed. Even worse - you like it. Well, I was so enthralled by this collection that I convinced Weston to share some of his short stories with anyone out there willing to step off their "I only read" perch. Of the three he's allowed me to send, my absolute favorite is "Hiroshima Falling." If you only read one - read that.
Visit Dani Kollin's blog and The Unincorporated Man website.

Writer's Read: Dani Kollin (May 2010).

My Book, The Movie: The Unincorporated Woman.

--Marshal Zeringue