Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Lucy Burdette

Lucy Burdette is the author of nine mysteries, some of them written as Roberta Isleib.

Her latest book is An Appetite For Murder, the first in the Key West food critic mystery series.

Earlier this month I asked her what she was reading. Her reply:
Ever since I signed a contract with NAL/Penguin for three books in the Key West food critic mystery series, I've had a marvelous excuse to immerse myself in foodie books--both fiction and nonfiction. I've always loved reading culinary mysteries, like Diane Mott Davidson's Goldy Schultz series about a caterer in Colorado or Julie Hyzy's White House chef mysteries or Krista Davis's domestic diva series. In these books, I can enjoy the pleasure of reading about food, cooking, and eating, but in addition, the character's quirks and personality are revealed in the way she deals with food. Heaven! Barbara O'Neal's How to Bake a Perfect Life is another recent favorite about a woman who owns a bakery while struggling with a difficult family and her own yearning for love that will be as dependable as her yeast. And don't let me forget Meredith Mileti's Aftertaste, starring a chef/restaurant owner in New York City whose life is turned upside down by an unexpected pregnancy.

In the nonfiction department, I'm reading about chefs and cooking and food in order to inform the books I'm writing about Hayley Snow, aspiring food critic. I adored former NYT food critic Frank Bruno's Born Round and Diana Abu-Jaber's memoir The Language of Baklava. Right now I'm starting Michael Ruhlman's The Reach of a Chef, as I'm anticipating the third book in my series will take place at a top chef competition.
Visit Lucy Burdette's website and blog.

The Page 69 Test: An Appetite For Murder.

--Marshal Zeringue