Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Cathy Marie Buchanan

Cathy Marie Buchanan is the author of the national bestseller The Day the Falls Stood Still, a Barnes & Noble Recommends selection and an Indie Next pick.

Her latest novel is The Painted Girls.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading.  Buchanan's reply:
I’m reading Geraldine Brooks’s latest. In Caleb’s Crossing, she takes the scant known facts about the first American Indian to graduate from Harvard (1665) and creates a rich, complex story with a reverence for learning at its core. It’s written as the confessional diary of Bethia Mayfield. The beautiful, convincing account follows her journey from girlhood to womanhood and Caleb’s from “savage” to scholar.

I’m also reading John Wyndham’s The Chrysalides (Re-birth in the US) aloud with my fourteen-year-old son. It’s my first reading of this wise, riveting post-nuclear holocaust tale of a community seeking to restore the genetic purity of the “true image” and a group of “deviants” persecuted for a mutation that allows them to communicate telepathically. Reading to my sons had long been one of life’s greatest pleasures.
Visit Cathy Marie Buchanan's website.

The Page 69 Test: The Painted Girls.

My Book, The Movie: The Painted Girls.

--Marshal Zeringue