Saturday, February 6, 2016

Ann Morgan

Ann Morgan is a freelance writer and editor. Her book Reading the World: Confessions of a Literary Explorer, inspired by her year-long journey through a book from every country, was published in the UK by Harvill Secker in February 2015 and as The World Between Two Covers: Reading the Globe in the US by Liveright Norton in May 2015.

Morgan's new novel is a psychological literary drama called Beside Myself.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Her reply:
I have several books on the go at the moment. As I choose one title from around the world to feature on my A Year of Reading the World blog each month, I'm nearly always reading something in translation. Right now, I'm exploring Thai literature, and am in the grip of an amazing novel called The White Shadow by Saneh Sangsuk, translated from the Thai by Marcel Barang. Like many literary novels, the narrative follows the struggles of an aspiring author, but the writing is so fresh, inventive and daring that it feels like a new departure rather than a variation on a familiar theme.

As well, as this, I'm also reading Instrumental by British concert pianist James Rhodes. It's a memoir charting his journey through profound trauma, abuse and mental illness. As the main character of my novel, Beside Myself, goes through some similar experiences, I was very interested to try it. So far, it's proved to be a harrowing, engrossing and brutally honest read.

Another book that I'm working my way through is M Train by the singer-songwriter, poet and artist Patti Smith. It's a collection of mini essays, memories and reflections on her life - and is beautifully written and very evocative. It's so rich and delicious that I'm treating it as I would a fine dark chocolate - breaking off a small piece now and then to savour, usually after dinner.
Visit Ann Morgan's website.

--Marshal Zeringue