Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Caroline Leavitt

Caroline Leavitt is the author of Cruel Beautiful World, and the New York Times bestsellers Is This Tomorrow and Pictures of You, as well as eight other novels.

A book critic for the San Francisco Chronicle and People, she’s the recipient of a New York Foundation of the Arts Grant in Fiction, and was a finalist in both the Sundance Screenwriters’ Lab and the Nickelodeon Screenwriters’ Fellowships.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Leavitt's reply:
Right now, I am actually rereading. Three writer friends of mine recently sent me their finished manuscripts, which were all so great, I decided to go back and reread their last novels, just for the pure pleasure of seeing the progression from one novel to the next. I reread Up From The Blue by Susan Henderson, which is so exquisitely written, so heartbreakingly sad (always a plus in my book) about a young girl’s struggle through her troubled childhood. Next I reread The Jazz Palace, about Chicago, and jazz and finding your true passion, by Mary Morris because the manuscript she showed me was so incredibly original, so haunting—and I began to think that having taken such risks in The Jazz Palace had helped her to do this. And finally, I am rereading Edges, the novel by Leora Skolkin-Smith, about a mother and a daughter, about Israel and Palestine, because her new novel, about Grace Paley, is so flat-out-astonishing.
Visit Caroline Leavitt's website and blog.

My Book, The Movie: Cruel Beautiful World.

The Page 69 Test: Cruel Beautiful World.

--Marshal Zeringue