Wednesday, October 12, 2016

John Keyse-Walker

John Keyse-Walker practiced law for 30 years, representing business and individual clients, educational institutions and government entities. He is an avid salt- and freshwater angler, a tennis player, kayaker and an accomplished cook. He lives in Ohio with his wife.

Keyse-Walker's debut novel is Sun, Sand, Murder.

Last month I asked the author about what he was reading. His reply:
Usually I read a mix of fiction and non-fiction, often history, but my current reading list shows my true colors, as I am at various stages with three mysteries.

I just completed The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen. It is a rich read, wrapping political satire and a great spy mystery into one story. Add to that the first real telling of the emotional story of the Vietnamese refugees who resettled and tried to assimilate in the U.S. and it is easy to see why this book won a Pulitzer Prize, a Carnegie Medal, and an Edgar Award.

I am in the middle of reading Louise Penny’s A Great Reckoning, latest in her Chief Inspector Ganache series set in Quebec. She is one of my favorite mystery writers because of the easy sophistication of her writing. With her, the reader gets more than the set-up and solution of a crime; you also get the smell of warm croissants and cafe au lait, the deep emotion of a good marriage, and the joy of a crisp sunny day after a heavy snowfall.

I try to read the occasional work from a small publisher or a self-published author. The Swamp Witch, by David G. Horton, is my current foray into this area. Set in rural Ohio, the story concerns a small-time drug dealer who becomes wrapped up in a murder investigation, with some supernatural experiences along the way. I love stories like this because they serve as a reminder that not every good story is on the New York Times bestsellers list, and there are writers out there yet to be discovered.
Visit John Keyse-Walker's website.

My Book, The Movie: Sun, Sand, Murder.

--Marshal Zeringue