Friday, January 27, 2017

Thoraiya Dyer

Thoraiya Dyer is an Australian writer whose more than 30 short stories, as well as a novella and short fiction collection published since 2008 have racked up 7 wins from 17 Aurealis and Ditmar Award nominations between them.

Crossroads of Canopy, Book One in the Titan's Forest Trilogy, debuts in the US this month.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Dyer's reply:
The Hanging Tree, by Ben Aaronovich (Book #6 of Peter Grant/Rivers of London series). I hate comedy films. I never watch them. They never make me laugh. This series always makes me laugh, and though I've just started this one, it's no exception. Aside from the comedy, there's acute characterisation, fast paced crime-solving, an intriguing through-story and all the colours, sounds and smells of a lovingly treated setting, whether looking at London, its mythological underbelly or sneaking away for the rural delights of Herefordshire. Right before Aaronovich was due to appear at an Australian convention, I started with Book #3 (stupid library) and loved it so much that I went back to read the first two. I don't know what it's like to read them in order. But I'm pretty sure I'll be staying up all night with #6, aided by as many cups of tea as it takes!
Visit Thoraiya Dyer's website.

--Marshal Zeringue