Monday, March 5, 2018

John Marrs

John Marrs is a freelance journalist based in London, England, who has spent the last twenty years interviewing celebrities from the world of television, film and music for national newspapers and magazines. His novels include The Wronged Sons, Welcome To Wherever You Are, and, newly released in the US, The One.

Recently I asked Marrs about what he was reading. His reply:
Sweet Pea by CJ Skuse

I like to think there is no one particular genre of book that I’m attracted to. That said, romance and paranormal aren’t high up on my checklist. But in the last few months, my choices have been more towards the dramatic. The Circle by Dave Eggers is the book I wish I could have written; Before The Fall by Noah Hawley had me guessing the whole way through and Lies by T M Logan was a completely unpredictable psychological thriller. This time around, I wanted something both light and dark in one novel. Through an online book club, I’d read about Sweet Pea, which has been pitched as American Psycho meets Bridget Jones. And that’s just what I wanted, a serial killer yarn with a comic twist. It follows Rhiannon Lewis, a girl-next-door with a dead end job and a cheating boyfriend. She hates her friends, compiles lists of everything and everyone that angers her, then decides to do something about it. Slowly she unravels as the book progresses and her desire to murder gets harder and harder to deny. And when the kills begin, she can’t stop herself. Not for the faint-hearted, it’s a frequently laugh-out-loud novel dripping in dark humour and with a sequel in the pipeline later this year. Having just finished it, I can honestly say I absolutely adored it.
Learn more about The One, visit John Marrs's website, and follow him on Twitter and Facebook.

--Marshal Zeringue