Saturday, May 12, 2018

Nick Oldham

Nick Oldham was born in April 1956 in a house in the tiny village of Belthorn on the moors high above Blackburn, Lancashire.

After leaving college and spending a depressing year in a bank, he joined Lancashire Constabulary at the age of nineteen in 1975 and served in many operational postings around the county. Most of his service was spent in uniform, but the final ten years were spent as a trainer and a manager in police training. He retired in 2005 at the rank of inspector.

He lives with his partner, Belinda, on the outskirts of Preston.

Oldham's new novel is Bad Cops.

Recently I asked the author about what he was reading. His reply:
As a habit from childhood, I still usually have two or three books on the go, something which used to annoy my mother intensely, not least because she couldn't understand how I could flit from one story to another and keep track as well as finding books all over the house. I'm a big fan of American crime and thriller writers and I'm presently deep into Hellbent by Gregg Hurwitz, the third of his brilliant Orphan X novels, featuring Evan Smoak, a vodka-drinking social recluse who can be a cold-hearted killer but finds himself to be a misfit when faced with 'normal' situations – like falling in love, dealing with stroppy teenagers. He's a great hero, though, and I've thoroughly enjoyed the series so far.

Also on the go is The Venetian Game by Philip Gwynne Jones, which I picked up on a whim for a long train journey and was hooked by the setting – yes, Venice, and the relaxed pace of the story telling which, bit by bit, is racked up in a beautiful city with a less than pretty underbelly. Jones is a great find and I'm looking forward to the next one in the series.

I usually also have an old favourite on the go to dip into, usually something I read when younger, maybe Hemingway or Le CarrĂ© – but at the moment, it's My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell, which is getting me ready for my summer holidays! Nuff said?
Follow Nick Oldham on Facebook and Twitter.

--Marshal Zeringue