Monday, June 25, 2018

Stephanie Butland

Stephanie Butland lives with her family near the sea in the North East of England. She writes in a studio at the bottom of her garden, and when she's not writing, she trains people to think more creatively. For fun, she reads, knits, sews, bakes, and spins. She is an occasional performance poet.

Butland's new novel is The Lost for Words Bookshop.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Her reply:
When I'm in the writing phase of a book, rather than the research or edit, as I am now, I need to stay away from contemporary fiction, as I just confuse myself! (It's very easily done.) So at the moment I am on a Muriel Spark jag: I re-read The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie and went on to The Girls Of Slender Means and now The Driver's Seat. Her writing is immaculate: sparse and deeply expressive. And she wrote, I think, with no regard for making the reader comfortable or happy, which makes for unsettling, compelling books.
Follow Stephanie Butland on Twitter and Facebook.

My Book, The Movie: The Lost for Words Bookshop.

The Page 69 Test: The Lost for Words Bookshop.

--Marshal Zeringue