Thursday, October 18, 2018

Laird Hunt

Laird Hunt's novels include Neverhome, a New York Times Book Review Editor’s Choice selection, an IndieNext selection, winner of the Grand Prix de Litterature Americaine and The Bridge prize, and a finalist for the Prix Femina Etranger.

Hunt's new novel is In the House in the Dark of the Woods.

Recently I asked the author about what he was reading. Hunt's reply:
While I always have multiple books on my nightstand (I mostly read in bed) the book that is preoccupying me with the most insistence is the new Penguin Book of Japanese Short Stories edited by Jay Rubin and with an introduction, and a couple of fine stories, by Haruki Murakami. For some years now I have been closely following the work of Japan’s new wave of extraordinary fictioneers – like Mieko Kawakami, Tomoyuki Hoshino, Tomoka Shibasaki and Hideo Furukawa – largely through the yearly appearance of the journal Monkey Business and I have been pleased to find some of them here in company with the aforementioned Murakami, the incomparable Yoko Ogawa, Motoyuki Shibata (who is also a world-class translator of American fiction into Japanese) and the legendary Ryonsuke Akutagawa. Japanese fiction is, quite simply, on fire. I can’t recommend this fresh gathering of it strongly enough.
Visit Laird Hunt's Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

My Book, The Movie: In the House in the Dark of the Woods.

--Marshal Zeringue