Sunday, February 24, 2019

Jo Perry

Jo Perry earned a Ph.D. in English, taught college literature and writing, produced and wrote episodic television, and has published articles, book reviews, and poetry.

She lives in Los Angeles with her husband, novelist Thomas Perry.

They have two adult children. Their three cats and two dogs are rescues.

Perry's latest novel is Dead is Beautiful.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Her reply:
Right now I am neck-deep into David Keenan's astounding, moving, brutalist/rhapsodic This Is Memorial Device: An Hallucinated Oral History of the Post-Punk Music Scene in Airdrie, Coatbridge and environs 1978–1986, a fictional memoir that I picked up as research for the book I'm currently writing, but which is so spectacularly good that I'm reading it because of its pure, melancholy energy, and the miraculous, anatomical way it recreates the dangerous, intoxicating and mysterious evanescence of experience.

Recently I read Matthew Phillips' Know Me From Smoke (F13Noir/Fahrenehit Press). The cover, which pictures two Day of the Dead calaveras embracing, sold me right away. Know Me From Smoke is hypnotic. The perfectly taut, plotting, gorgeous, masterful writing and dark power of Phillips' San Diego noir novel blew me away.

I also read the ARC of fourth in Derek Farrell's Danny Bird mysteries which feature a gay pub owner, his friends and his family, a series I love. In Death Of An Angel, Farrell's great talent for mixing dark and light is at its most powerful and masterful. This is an ambitious, hilarious, heart-stopping and heartbreaking mystery that succeeds in every possible way. Death of An Angel comes out 2/28 from Fahrenheit Press.
Visit Jo Perry's website.

Coffee with a Canine: Jo Perry & Lola and Lucy.

The Page 69 Test: Dead is Beautiful.

My Book, The Movie: Dead is Beautiful.

--Marshal Zeringue