Monday, June 3, 2019

Jennifer duBois

Jennifer duBois is the author of A Partial History of Lost Causes, which won a California Book Award for Fiction, a Northern California Book Award for First Fiction, and was a finalist for the PEN/Hemingway Prize for Debut Fiction. The National Book Foundation named her one of its 5 Under 35 authors. Her second novel, Cartwheel, was the winner of the Housatonic Book Award for fiction and was a finalist for a New York Public Library Young Lions Award.

Her new novel is The Spectators.

Recently I asked duBois about what she was reading. Her reply:
I recently read Friday Black by Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah--a hallucinatory and hilarious collection about America's racial and economic absurdities. The fearlessness of this book's comic instincts put me in mind of Paul Beatty's The Sellout; its moments of pathos reminded me of the stories of George Saunders.

I'm in the middle of The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton, an epic mystery set in mid-nineteenth-century New Zealand, written in a Victorian prose style that's a truly astonishing act of mimicry. I'm not entirely sure how the elaborate puzzle pieces of this book fit together, but I've been really enjoying my bewilderment.
Visit the official Jennifer duBois website.

The Page 69 Test: A Partial History of Lost Causes.

My Book, The Movie: A Partial History of Lost Causes.

The Page 69 Test: Cartwheel.

--Marshal Zeringue