Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Robert Blaemire

Robert Blaemire began working for Senator Birch Bayh while a freshman in college and remained on his staff for the next 13 years. After Bayh's election defeat in 1980, Blaemire formed a political action committee, the Committee for American Principles, to combat the influence of the New Right in American politics. In 1982, he began a long career providing political computer services for Democratic candidates and progressive organizations. An early participant in the rise of big data, he owned and managed Blaemire Communications for 17 years. Born in Indiana, he lives in Bethesda, Maryland, and has two sons and a daughter-in-law.

Blaemire's new book is Birch Bayh: Making a Difference.

Recently I asked the author about what he was reading. His reply:
My reading tastes are pretty broad. I have tasked myself with reading a book a week, which I have been able to keep up most of my life over the last 30 years. The books I choose include serious novels (War and Peace, All the Light I Cannot See, A Gentleman in Moscow, Don Quixote), thrillers (by John Grisham, Michael Connelly, Dennis Lehane, Stephen Hunter, Lee Child), biography (I have read at least one biography of every American president), sports (Roger Angell baseball books, biographies of Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, recently a book about pitching called K), entertainment (Steve Martin’s books, biographies of Groucho Marx, Katharine Hepburn, Sean Connery, Jane Fonda) and current events (Fire and Fury, Fear, Double Down, Shattered). Right now I’m finishing a 40 city travelogue book by the late NY Times reporter R.W. Apple after finishing a Mark Twain biography.
Learn more about Birch Bayh: Making a Difference at the Indiana University Press website.

My Book, The Movie: Birch Bayh: Making a Difference.

--Marshal Zeringue