Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Tim Pratt

Tim Pratt is a Hugo Award-winning SF and fantasy author, and has been a finalist for World Fantasy, Sturgeon, Stoker, Mythopoeic, and Nebula Awards, among others. He is the author of over twenty novels, including the newly released The Forbidden Stars: Book III of the Axiom.

Recently I asked the author about what he was reading. Pratt's reply:
I'm reading a lot this year, because I'm judging a couple of awards, and my Table of Judgment is heaped high with copies of things to consider (and my Tablet of Judgment is likewise full of digital books). Just at the moment I'm finishing up Paul Tremblay's collection Growing Things, a very strong book of horror (or at least dark and weird) stories by one of my favorite writers of scary things. The stories are pleasantly varied, from the surreal and creepy to the grounded and poignant to the tongue-and-cheek and self-aware. I just finished G. Willow Wilson's The Bird King, which I enjoyed a lot too: magic maps, magic doors, courageous outsiders fleeing an impossible situation for a mysterious island... these are all things I like. Alongside that I also read one of Tana French's Dublin Murder Squad novels, The Trespasser, which is excellent police procedural/crime stuff with great characters and compelling writing. (I didn't read that one for award consideration, but hey, my hold at the library came through, and I wasn't going to not read it.) I'm in the midst of Leigh Bardugo's Ninth House now, but am in deep enough in to say it's excellent, a dark contemporary fantasy set among secret societies at an elite university.
Visit Tim Pratt's website.

--Marshal Zeringue