Sunday, January 26, 2020

Emily Suvada

Emily Suvada is the award-winning author of the Mortal Coil trilogy, a science fiction thriller series for young adults. The first book, This Mortal Coil, won the Oregon Spirit Book Award, and was shortlisted for an Aurealis Award, the Waterstones Children’s Book Prize, and the Readings Young Adult Book Prize.

Suvada was born in Australia, where she spent her childhood reading, writing, and watching Star Trek. In college, she studied math and astrophysics, and went on to a career in finance before finding her way back to her first love—books.

Her new book, the finale to the Mortal Coil series, is This Vicious Cure.

Recently I asked Suvada about what she was reading. Her reply:
The latest book I read was Recursion by Blake Crouch. I'm a huge fan of Crouch's ever since having Dark Matter recommended to me by a friend, and am working my way through his backlist. However, Recursion is a straight-up masterpiece of a speculative thriller, and my mind is still blown by its pace, and how it manages to be incredibly complex without becoming confusing or bogged down in detail. Crouch is, in my opinion, one of the best structural thriller writers around, and his ability to deliver ever-increasing stakes as the plot progresses is unparalleled. Every time I read one of his books, I think it can't get any wilder until I hit the third act and the book truly takes flight. Amazing. If you've ever wanted to read a book that carries the same mind-blowing feeling as the cult film Primer, then Recursion is for you. I wish I could read it again for the first time, and I already look forward to reading it again.
Visit Emily Suvada's website.

The Page 69 Test: This Cruel Design.

--Marshal Zeringue