Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Mike Chen

Mike Chen is a lifelong writer, from crafting fan fiction as a child to somehow getting paid for words as an adult. He has contributed to major geek websites (The Mary Sue, The Portalist, Tor) and covered the NHL for mainstream media outlets. A member of SFWA and Codex Writers, Chen lives in the Bay Area, where he can be found playing video games and watching Doctor Who with his wife, daughter, and rescue animals.

His novels are Here and Now and Then and the newly released A Beginning at the End.

Recently I asked Chen about what he was reading. His reply:
I'm currently starting an ARC of Rule, by Rowenna Miller. Rule is the final book in her Unraveled Kingdom trilogy, and I basically have been begging her for an ARC since I finished reading the second book Fray last year. The Unraveled Kingdom is a fantasy series, but it's very different from most fantasy works because of two choices that I absolutely adore. The first is that magic in this world is created through art. The passion an artist, be it weaving clothes or playing music, taps into a source of magical power for this world. The second is the level of politics in the book: inspired by the French Revolution, Rowenna carefully allows both sides (aristocracy and commoners) to have their say, with both doing their share of unscrupulous manipulation. So many political narratives often paint one side or the other as the champion, and this handles it with way more nuance. I have a massive TBR queue, but I let Rule skip right to the front of the line because I loved the first two books so much.
Visit Mike Chen's website.

My Book, The Movie: Here and Now and Then.

--Marshal Zeringue