Monday, February 3, 2020

Kevin Wignall

Kevin Wignall was born in Brussels, the son of a military family, and lived in various parts of Europe throughout his childhood. He studied Politics & International Relations at Lancaster University. He's currently based in the west of England, though he travels a lot. His novels and short stories have inspired film-makers, musicians and other artists, topped bestseller lists and been shortlisted for numerous awards.

Wignall's new novel is The Names of the Dead.

Recently I asked the author about what he was reading. Wignall's reply:
I'm a slow reader anyway, but when I'm writing I struggle to read at all. So when I hand in a manuscript, which I've just done, I make up for it. I get sent a lot of ARCs and I've just read two by British writers, We Begin at the End by Chris Whitaker, and Beast by Matt Wesolowski. I know both authors, and that always makes me a little nervous - what if I hate the book? Fortunately, I loved both of these, the first set in California, the second in post-industrial northern England, but both dealing with communities torn apart by past crimes.

Next up is a book recommended by Ali Karim, Wanderers by Chuck Wendig. It's a mountain of a book at over 700 pages, and a new author to me, but Ali rhapsodized about it, the premise hooked, the opening pages were great, so I'm looking forward to it.

I've never bought a book by an author who invited me to like their page but I buy a good number that are recommended by other readers on Facebook, and have discovered some real gems as a result. Given how slowly I read, by the time I finish the Wendig book, I'll probably need to start reading for the panel I'm moderating at Crimefest in June, which can feel like an obligation sometimes, but which I know will be a pleasure this year - I'm not allowed to say yet who's appearing on it, but they're all authors I know and like, including one of my favourite American writers, so I know I'm guaranteed some fine reading.
Visit Kevin Wignall's website.

--Marshal Zeringue