Monday, December 5, 2022

Tessa Wegert

Tessa Wegert is the author of the Shana Merchant novels, which include Death in the Family, The Dead Season, Dead Wind, and The Kind to Kill. A former freelance journalist and digital media strategist, Wegert’s work has appeared in Forbes, The Huffington Post, Adweek, and The Economist. She grew up in Quebec and now lives with her husband and children in Connecticut.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Wegert's reply:
A few years ago, in an effort to fit more books into my life, I started reading multiple titles at once. I now have three going at any given time and keep them scattered around the house so there’s always a book within reach. Here’s what I’m reading right now.

Mirrorland by Carole Johnstone

I’ve always been fascinated by books about identical twins, maybe because I never had a sister (not to knock my wonderful brother). In Mirrorland, LA writer Catriona returns to her childhood home in Scotland to search for her estranged twin Ellice, who disappeared while sailing but, according to Cat, may be alive and playing an elaborate cat-and-mouse game. Johnstone’s prose is just gorgeous, and her descriptions of the dark imaginary world the sisters frequented as children gives me chills.

Kismet by Amina Akhtar

Set in Sedona, Arizona, Kismet features Ronnie, a young Pakistani woman who craves freedom from her domineering aunt only to find herself embroiled in a murder investigation. This book gets over-the-top wellness culture just right, living in that sweet spot between gripping thriller and laugh-out-loud black comedy. Kismet entertains with every page.

The Writing Retreat by Julia Bartz

What writer wouldn’t want to read a book about a writing retreat? In Julia Bartz’s excellent debut, aspiring novelist Alex is invited to attend a retreat with a notorious author, but soon learns the event is a cut-throat competition. This is a claustrophobic thriller in the vein of The Plot, and I’m loving it.
Visit Tessa Wegert's website.

My Book, The Movie: The Dead Season.

The Page 69 Test: The Dead Season.

Q&A with Tessa Wegert.

The Page 69 Test: Dead Wind.

--Marshal Zeringue