Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Erin Cotter

Erin Cotter writes young adult fiction. Originally from Buffalo, New York, she currently calls Austin home. When not writing she spends time with her partner and pets, eating tacos, and searching for Golden-cheeked Warblers in the Texas Hill Country.

Cotter's new novel is A Dangerous Bargain.

Recently I asked her about what she was reading. The author's reply:
I’ve been on historical fantasy kick lately. Emily Wilde’s Encyclopaedia of Faeries by Heather Fawcett and The Scholar and Last Faerie Door by H. G. Parry. The Emily Wilde series follows the titular character on her adventures as an introverted dryadologist (fairy scholar) set in the TK TIME and Parry’s book follows a series of students studying forbidden faerie magic at Camford, an elite, secret magical university in the 1920s. Now that I’m mentioning these both here, I realize they have tons in common: dark academia, creepy faeries, and women scholars, but hey, at least I have a type!

These two books really stuck out to me this year because the historical settings feel vivid and richly imagined, but the fantasy elements feel just as grounded and real as well. As a writer, I’m always reading to learn from other writers, and having just written my first historical fantasy myself, it’s been really fun to see how other people are doing it for other countries and time periods!
Visit Erin Cotter's website.

--Marshal Zeringue