Thursday, May 5, 2011

Douglas Corleone

Douglas Corleone is a former New York City defense attorney and winner of the Mystery Writers of America/Minotaur Books First Crime Novel Competition for One Man's Paradise. He now lives in the Hawaiian Islands with his wife and son.

His new novel is Night on Fire.

A few weeks ago I asked him what he was reading. His reply:
Since I write in the genre, I try to read every legal thriller that crosses my radar. 2011 is a great year for legal thrillers. Earlier this year, I read David Ellis’s Breach of Trust, the second in his Jason Kolarich series. I’ve been hooked on David Ellis ever since his debut novel Line of Vision, and I think he may well be the best legal thriller writer out there today.

Right now I’m reading Michael Connelly’s fourth Mickey Haller novel, The Fifth Witness. Connelly’s protagonist Mickey Haller is one of the greatest lawyer-protagonists to ever hit the page, and I’m thrilled to see Connelly following him. I thought The Lincoln Lawyer movie was very well done, and I’d be delighted to see Matthew Mc Conaughey reprise the role of Mickey Haller for The Brass Verdict and The Reversal.

In May, I’m looking forward to the release of Trader of Secrets by one of my greatest influences, Steve Martini. In fact, Martini’s Paul Madriani series inspired me to write the Kevin Corvelli series. I’ve been following Steve Martini since I was in high school – Trader of Secrets will be his twelfth Paul Madriani novel, and I’d happily read another dozen or two.

And this summer, Minotaur Books is releasing the latest Andy Carpenter novel by my friend David Rosenfelt. David’s legal thrillers are so much fun, and if I hadn’t read them, I probably never would have attempted the humor I use in my Kevin Corvelli novels. I first contacted David shortly before the release of One Man’s Paradise and was ecstatic to find he is as funny in his correspondence as he is on the page. And that he has just as much heart as Andy Carpenter. One Dog Night releases in early July.
Visit Douglas Corleone's website.

The Page 69 Test: One Man's Paradise.

The Page 69 Test: Night on Fire.

--Marshal Zeringue