Saturday, November 17, 2012

Derek Haas

Derek Haas is the co-writer of the films The Double, Wanted, and 3:10 to Yuma, and author of The Assassin Trilogy: The Silver Bear, Columbus and Dark Men. His new novel is The Right Hand.

Recently I asked Haas what he was reading.  His reply:
Currently, I'm reading Reamde by Neal Stephenson. It's a globe-trotting, character jumping espionage thriller focusing on a young woman who gets caught up in a web of intrigue after she discovers her hacker boyfriend has been stealing credit cards and handing them over to a Russian crime syndicate. That is actually way too simple of an explanation… I'm thoroughly enjoying the book but you have to set aside a couple of months to read it because Stephenson leaves no detail underplayed. I am in awe of his ability to write such a complex plot.

Before that, I read Dave Eggers' latest, A Hologram for the King. I'm a huge fan of sad sack stories and this is one of the sad-sackiest. It's a modern day Death of a Salesman meets Waiting For Godot. Hats off to Eggers… he packs a lot of pathos and squirm-inducing empathy in every page.
Visit Derek Haas's website.

My Book, The Movie: Dark Men.

Writers Read: Derek Haas (December 2011).

The Page 69 Test: Dark Men.

--Marshal Zeringue