Friday, November 9, 2012

Matthew Costello

Matthew Costello is an award-winning novelist, screenwriter and video game writer. His best-selling video games include The 7th Guest, Doom 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean. His horror novel, Beneath Still Waters, was filmed by Lionsgate. He also has written episodes and created TV formats for PBS, Disney, SyFy, and the BBC.

Costello's latest novel is Home.

Recently I asked him what he was reading.  His reply:
Having read an immense amount of fiction, now -- I tend to not read fiction.

Since it seems like I am always writing fiction of one sort or the other, whether novels, games, or scripts…I seek my escape in non-fiction. Part of the reason is that when I read fiction I tend to compare and contrast, slipping into work mode. (He/she does that better than I do, or…just the opposite.)

I'm currently enjoying The General: Charles De Gaulle and the France He Saved by Jonathan Fenby and Hitler's Hangman: The Life of Heydrich by Robert Gerwarth. But the book I most loved recently is the amazing biography of – take a breath – Julia Child, Dearie by Bob Spitz.

The theme of Stephen King’s latest, 11/22/63 …the Kennedy assassination, time travel,…had me break form and read it. I was – quite frankly – blown away by its structure, its deftness handling the well-worn tropes of time travel, and it had me totally and delightfully forget…any concern other than enjoying the book.

Oh—I'm also reading YA books for a big multi-volume project with Neil Richards for Screen Australia and the company, Loud & Clear…and enjoying The Cabinet of Wonders by Marie Rutkowski.
Visit Matthew Costello's website.

The Page 69 Test: Home.

--Marshal Zeringue