Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Pauline Rowson

Pauline Rowson is the author of the DI Andy Horton Series and of two stand-alone thrillers. Shroud of Evil, the eleventh in the Horton series, is published by Severn House in April 2014.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Rowson's reply:
Crime, of course, but while I find it difficult to read my contemporaries' crime novels because I don’t want to be influenced by them or find myself comparing my writing with theirs, reading crime novels of the past is a great pleasure.

I’m re-reading for the nth time the stack of Georges Simenon Maigret novels that I have in my collection (by no means all of them). I’ve just finished reading Maigret Takes A Room and Maigret and the Idle Burglar. I love the atmospheric writing, the quick dialogue and the fact that you follow the story through Maigret’s eyes. I also like to count up the number of alcoholic drinks Maigret consumes in a day, it makes me feel far less guilty at taking that glass or two of wine in the evening.

I’m just taking a short break from Maigret and re-reading Dangerous by Moonlight by the wonderfully talented Leslie Thomas. It features an unlikely hero, Detective Constable Dangerous Davies, and his cantankerous dog, Kitty, ‘an animal of great size and unsteady temper.’ The novel is funny, eccentric and poignant and is set not far from where my own DI Andy Horton novels are based which is on the South Coast of England.
For more information about Pauline Rowson, visit her website, Twitter perch, and the DI Andy Horton Marine Mystery Facebook page.

--Marshal Zeringue