Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Yvette Manessis Corporon

Yvette Manessis Corporon is an Emmy Award-winning writer, producer, and author. She is currently a senior producer with the syndicated entertainment news show Extra. In addition to her Emmy Award, Yvette has received a Silurian Award for Excellence in Journalism, and the New York City Comptroller and City Council's Award for Greek Heritage and Culture. She is married to award-winning photojournalist David Corporon.

Her debut novel is When the Cypress Whispers.

A week ago I asked the author about what she was reading. Corporon's reply:
You know that incredible feeling when you fall deeply and madly in love with a book? When you feel you are in the room with the characters, when your chest is so full of emotion that you can’t breathe and the tears spill down your cheeks and wet the page? Yeah, that’s how I feel about Ann Patchett’s Bel Canto.

Bel Canto has been on my “to read” list for quite some time and I finally pulled it out and read it on a recent vacation in Mexico. There I was, sitting on the sand in Cancun, surrounded by my friends and husband, but Ann Patchett managed to transport me to that ballroom in that unnamed South American country. It was as if I could actually hear Roxanne Coss singing and feel the gentle touch of love’s first kiss. For me Bel Canto is the perfect book. It’s evocative, beautiful, it made me think and it brought me to tears. I finished it about a week ago and I have not stopped thinking about it. Now that’s the sign of a great book.
Visit Yvette Corporon's website.

--Marshal Zeringue