Saturday, January 3, 2015

Diane Kelly

A former Assistant Attorney General and tax advisor, Diane Kelly inadvertently worked with white-collar criminals. Lest she end up in jail, Kelly decided self-employment was a good idea. Her fingers hit the keyboard and thus began her award-winning Death and Taxes romantic mystery series. A graduate of her hometown's Citizen Police Academy, Kelly also writes the hilarious K-9 cop Paw Enforcement series.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Her reply:
Right now I’m reading two books.

The first is Bob Newhart’s I Shouldn’t Even be Doing This! and Other Things that Strike Me as Funny. I’ve always loved Bob Newhart’s unique approach to comedy as a total straight man. Nobody does it like him! I’ve enjoyed all of his TV shows and had the privilege of seeing him perform live in Fort Worth a few years ago. He was great! I recently took a stand-up comedy class and did my first open mic, so I realize how much work goes into doing stand-up.

I’m also reading Amy Poehler’s Yes Please. I dream of writing for television with a crazy team of creative types, so it was a given that I’d pick up her book. It’s an interesting mix of insider information, personal stories, and life lessons learned, often the hard way. I recommend both of these books to anyone who has any interest in comedy, television, or biographies of interesting people.
Visit Diane Kelly's website, blog, Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

Coffee with a Canine: Diane Kelly & Reggie, Junior, and Brownie.

--Marshal Zeringue