Thursday, April 16, 2015

Adam Mitzner

Adam Mitzner's books include A Case of Redemption and A Conflict of Interest.

His new novel is Losing Faith.

Recently I asked Mitzner about what he was reading. His reply:
Unfortunately for me, most of my reading is either drafts of my next book, or briefs written by other lawyers in cases that I’m handling during my day job as a New York City lawyer. But, when I’m lucky enough to read for pleasure, my reading breaks down into three categories.

Books in my genre. I just finished The Girl on the Train, which I absolutely loved.

Books my wife recommends. These are usually a bit more literary. Right now, number one on her list for me to read is Michael Chabon’s Telegraph Avenue. It’s a long one, and so I may only read the first 200 pages or so, which I do with a lot of books and enjoy the beauty of the writing more than getting caught up in what is going to happen next. On the other hand, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay (also by Chabon) weighed in at over 600 pages, and I loved every word of it. Of course, that might be because it had to do with comic books.

Books I read to my daughter before bed. Alice in Wonderland is presently on her nightstand.

All three types greatly aid me in my own writing. The Girl on the Train has me fascinated with the stories that revolve around unreliable narrators. The books my wife recommends almost invariably have a richness in language that I can only dream about duplicating someday, and reading to my daughter provides me with the daily reminder that there’s nothing more powerful than a good story.
Learn more about the book and author at Adam Mitzner's website.

The Page 69 Test: A Conflict of Interest.

My Book, The Movie: A Conflict of Interest.

The Page 69 Test: A Case of Redemption.

My Book, The Movie: A Case of Redemption.

The Page 69 Test: Losing Faith.

--Marshal Zeringue