Thursday, April 30, 2015

Carol Berkin

Carol Berkin, Presidential Professor of History, Emerita at Baruch College and the Graduate Center of the City University of New York, is the author of A Brilliant Solution: Inventing the American Constitution, First Generations, Jonathan Sewall, and Wondrous Beauty: The Life and Adventures of Elizabeth Patterson Bonaparte.

Her new book is The Bill of Rights: The Fight to Secure America's Liberties.

Recently I asked Berkin about what she was reading. Her reply:
After a long day reading Congressional debates from the 1790s for my next book, I like to turn to a good mystery novel or some science fiction. Having just finished all of Louise Penny’s beautiful, lyrical Inspector Gamache mysteries, I have now turned to an eerie tale, The Devil’s Detective, about murder in the bowels of Hell. I have to confess, however, that I am eagerly awaiting the next and final episode in James Patterson’s Maximum Ride series— who doesn’t love these stories of a group of young people who have been experimented on my evil scientists and given wings?-- and Lincoln Child’s new book. My one requirement for all my “break from research” reading is that the books are well written; no plot line, no matter how complex, can make up for dull or cliche writing!
Learn more about The Bill of Rights: The Fight to Secure America's Liberties.

My Book, The Movie: Wondrous Beauty.

My Book, The Movie: The Bill of Rights.

--Marshal Zeringue