Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Shelley Tougas

https://shelleytougas.wordpress.com/Shelley Tougas is an award-winning writer of nonfiction for children, including Little Rock Girl 1957, and the author of the novels The Graham Cracker Plot, Finders Keepers, and A Patron Saint for Junior Bridesmaids.

Her latest novel is Laura Ingalls Is Ruining My Life.

Recently I asked Tougas about what she was reading. Her reply:
Rain Reign by Ann M. Martin

Rose Howard loves her homonyms—so much that she names a dog found lost in a storm “Rain” (rein, reign). Rose, who has autism, is pushed to her limits when Rain disappears again, and she has to make the toughest decision of her life. This tugs at your heart but never goes over the top with sentimentality. Lovely.

Slider’s Son by Rebecca Fjelland Davis

I haven’t read a novel where the Depression era comes to life like this one. This is a middle-grade mystery set during the bone-cracking cold of a North Dakota winter, but the heart of the story is the boys’ friendship―a friendship so authentic you’ll want to bundle up, call your best friend and go sledding.

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard (book one) by Rick Riordan

My daughter wouldn’t stop bugging me until I read the first Magnus Chase novel, and for once I’m grateful for her persistence. I’ve never had so much fun in the pages of a book. Riordan is obviously a master of mythology, but to me, he’s a master of humor. Just one question: Where’s the movie?

The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder

I read this one nearly every year because it’s my favorite Laura book. The Long Winter is a nail-biting survival story. Researchers say Laura’s descriptions of the infamous winter match the historical record. It’s also the first time readers meet Laura’s husband Almanzo, who’s as dashing a hero as any in literature.

Big & Little Questions (According to Wren Jo Byrd) by Julie Bowe

I met Julie a few years ago at a book event. When Wren Jo Byrd was released, I bought it before I saw all the great reviews. She nails the voice of a kid confused and frustrated by her parents’ split. This novel is utterly charming. I hope she’s celebrating the accolades.
Visit Shelley Tougas's website.

--Marshal Zeringue