Saturday, February 16, 2019

A. F. Brady

A.F. Brady is a New York State Licensed Mental Health Counselor/Psychotherapist. She holds a Bachelor's degree in Psychology from Brown University and two Masters degrees in Psychological Counseling from Columbia University. She is a life-long New Yorker, and resides in Manhattan with her husband and their family, including Maurice the canine.

Brady's new novel is Once a Liar.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Her reply:
I am reading a small, but diverse pile of books these days because I am a mom to two little ones and I spend half my life rereading the same stories over and over to my kids. We are currently obsessed with Cars and Trucks and Things That Go by Richard Scarry. My brother and I used to read this when we were children and I am extremely excited to be bringing it to my two-year-old now, and he delights in finding Goldbug on every page.

I have just started Becoming by Michelle Obama. I absolutely adore Michelle Obama, I admire her intelligence, poise, grace and ability to persevere in the face of obstruction. I am always interested to hear the stories of a public figure’s personal experience. We tend to think we know someone by how they appear on TV, and I’m very much looking forward to getting into her story and learning about her on a more personal level.

I have Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis on my nightstand right now. I am a practicing psychotherapist, and I love the way Rachel provides self-deprecating, honest representations of sometimes unpleasant truths, to help her readers put down the heavy suitcases we have been packing with society’s unreasonable demands. It’s a very accessible and understandable set of guidelines to steer readers toward a happier and unburdened life.

I’m also in the middle of Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting by Syd Field. Always trying to educate myself. Maybe one day I’ll write a screenplay, adapt a novel, make a movie, who knows? But it all starts with an education.

Hopefully, when I have some more time on my hands, I will pile a few more books onto the pile.
Visit A.F. Brady's website.

Coffee with a Canine: A.F. Brady & Maurice.

The Page 69 Test: Once a Liar.

--Marshal Zeringue