Friday, February 15, 2019

Darius Hinks

Darius Hinks works and lives in Nottinghamshire, England. He spent the nineties playing guitar for the grunge band, Cable, but when his music career ended in a bitter lawsuit, he turned to writing. His first novel, Warrior Priest, won the David Gemmell Morningstar award and, so far at least, none of his novels have resulted in litigation.

Hinks's new novel is The Ingenious.

Recently I asked the author about what he was reading. His reply:
I read in such an unfocused way. My reading is as messy as every other aspect of my life. I usually have half a dozen or so books on the go. At the moment, I’m re-reading the beautiful Peter Owen illustrated edition of Goose of Hermogenes, by Ithell Colquhoun. It’s an incredibly strange novel, quite unlike anything I’ve ever read before. Colquhoun was a surrealist painter (back in the 50s) and that really comes through in her writing. It feels more like slipping into a dream than reading a novel. Well, more of a nightmare than a dream – it’s pretty disturbing in places. I can’t say it makes a lot of sense but it’s so vivid and atmospheric I keep thinking about it and having to come back for another read. It’s highly recommended for anyone who likes surreal fiction about alchemists.

I’ve also been reading The Traitor God by Cameron Johnston, which is a rip-roaring, funny, gritty piece of grimdark fantasy.

Before that I enjoyed George Mann’s Wychwood – a clever mix of a modern-day police procedural and dark, occult, goings-on, all rooted in ancient, bloody, English mythology.

In complete contrast to all this sinister, nightmarish stuff, I’m reading a book of short stories by Tom Hanks. It’s not a book I would have been drawn to, but my sister has a habit of buying me random reads for Christmas and I’m actually really enjoying this one. Annoyingly, for someone who already has such a successful career, he writes well – unaffected, simple, conversational prose telling understated but quietly moving stories. I kind of hate him.
Visit Darius Hinks's website.

The Page 69 Test: The Ingenious.

My Book, The Movie: The Ingenious.

--Marshal Zeringue