Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Lauren Saft

Lauren Saft holds an MFA from the University of San Francisco and a Bachelor's degree from Tufts University. She's worked in publishing, TV, education, child care, retail, journalism, and food service, all the while closely studying the habits and compulsions of teenage girls. She currently works as a TV producer in Philadelphia where she lives with her cat and creative inspiration, Desi.

Saft's debut novel is Those Girls.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Her reply:
Right now, I’m reading Funny Girl by Nick Horby. I’m only about 20 pages in, but so far so good! I love Nick Hornby and every time I come back to his writing it’s like hanging out with an old friend who is totally different now than she was the last time you saw her. She’s dressed differently, has a new job, new interests, and talks about new things and doing totally different things, but after like 5 minutes of talking, you see that despite the fact that her setting and garb has changed, she’s still exactly the same person and you still love her. High Fidelity is basically my favorite book of all time, and Juliet, Naked, which came out 5-6 years ago, is a close second. I love the way he writes about art, be it music or writing or comedy, from the perspective of both the fan and the creator. It seems like this book follows those same familiar themes, and I’m all in.
Visit Lauren Saft's website.

My Book, The Movie: Those Girls.

--Marshal Zeringue