Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Lee Robinson

Lee Robinson practiced law for over 20 years in Charleston, South Carolina, and was the first female president of the Charleston County Bar. She teaches at the Center for Medical Humanities and Ethics at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio.

Robinson's new novel is Lawyer for the Dog.

Earlier this month I asked the author about what she was reading. Her reply:
I’ve just finished two books which dazzled me for different reasons. Anthony Doerr’s All the Light We Cannot See is so vividly rendered, so tactile, as we feel the world through the sensibility of the blind girl at its center. This is a book I’ll return to again. (The first read was for pleasure, the next time will be to study its structure.)

I like to alternate fiction with nonfiction, so after Doerr’s novel I picked up Jan Jarboe Russell’s The Train to Crystal City, a fascinating and well-researched account of the internment camp in South Texas, where during World War II secret trains carried thousands of Japanese, German and Italian immigrant and their American-born children.

Next on my bedside stack is another novel, Lila, by Marilynne Robinson. I was a latecomer to what has now become an American classic, her Housekeeping, and I want more of Robinson’s storytelling, with its fearless yet tender portrayal of family relationships.
Visit Lee Robinson's website.

My Book, The Movie: Lawyer for the Dog.

--Marshal Zeringue