Sunday, October 18, 2015

Amy Sue Nathan

Amy Sue Nathan was born and raised in Philadelphia and is a graduate of Temple University with a Bachelor’s in Journalism (a degree she actually uses). She has called the Chicago area home since the late 1990s, and is the proud mom of two grown children (her favorite oxymoron). In addition to being a writer, editor, and blogger, she's a dog-lover, vegetarian, not-so-secret crafter, and lover of all things wine and chocolate.

Nathan's debut novel, The Glass Wives, was published by St. Martin’s Griffin in May 2013.

Her new novel is The Good Neighbor.

Recently I asked Nathan about what she was reading. her reply:
What I’m reading right now might surprise you. I’m reading books that aren’t published. Not yet, anyway. You know the endorsements or blurbs you see on the front, back, and inside cover of books? Those are written by authors who’ve been asked to read the book before it goes out to booksellers or readers. Usually authors asked to blurb write similar books, so that his or her name will be familiar to someone who might like the new book. Even when I’m busy getting ready for a book launch (now) and writing another novel (now), I always make time to read, especially if I’m reading for a blurb. Helping other authors is high on my list of priorities and I always try to fulfill my promises. Since I write women’s fiction (or what some call book club fiction) those are usually the books I’m asked to blurb.

Right now I’m reading The House on Primrose Pond by Yona Zeldis McDonough, about a widow and her two children who leave the familiarity of their Brooklyn home for what they think will be the New Hampshire wilderness to build a new life. Though I’ve not yet finished the book, it has captured my heart with its themes of motherhood and family – and some secrets they find in the attic.

On the “reading just because” list is After You by Jojo Moyes. Because I host a book and writing blog, Womensfictionwriters.com, I have early access to many books. It’s one of the best parts of that job (which isn’t really a job). I enjoy reading Jojo Moyes because of her ability write loveable quirky characters I wish I knew, and twisting them into somewhat unthinkable situations. When I read Jojo Moyes I often wonder, “How on earth did she come up with that?” To me – that’s the sign of a great book.
Learn more about the book and author at Amy Sue Nathan's website, Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

Coffee with a Canine: Amy Sue Nathan & Mitzi and Lizzie.

My Book, The Movie: The Glass Wives.

The Page 69 Test: The Glass Wives.

The Page 69 Test: The Good Neighbor.

My Book, The Movie: The Good Neighbor.

--Marshal Zeringue