Friday, October 23, 2015

Sofie Kelly

Sofie Kelly is the pseudonym of young adult writer and mixed-media artist, Darlene Ryan. Sofie/Darlene lives on the east coast with her husband and daughter. In her spare time she practices Wu style tai chi and likes to prowl around thrift stores.

Her new novel is Faux Pas.

Recently I asked Kelly about what she was reading. Her reply:
I almost always have more than one book on the go—usually one I’m reading on my Kindle and one that’s a paper copy. The “physical” book I’m reading right now is Women Who Love Psychopaths by Sandra L. Brown. Recently I watched The Psychopath Next Door, a documentary about non-criminal psychopaths. (Experts estimate between one and two per cent of the general adult male population fits the definition of psychopath--a lack of empathy and remorse among other traits. Most psychopaths aren’t violent criminals, but they’re not someone you’d want to be in a relationship with, either.) Brown’s book was one of several mentioned in the documentary and I found it at my local library. It’s a fascinating read. I had a college professor, who in retrospect, fits the criteria. (Seriously!)

On my Kindle I’m reading Single by Saturday by Catherine Bybee. A friend kept insisting I should read anything from Bybee and this book in particular. And she was right. I’m really enjoying the story. This is not a traditional romance. The heroine is married to the hero’s brother. (I’m not giving anything away by saying this is a marriage of convenience.) I know things are going to end happily ever after, but I’m not sure how the author is going to get to that point.

Waiting on my To Be Read pile: Look Both Ways by Carol J. Perry, the third in the Witch City mysteries, and Wicked Plants by Amy Stewart, a non-fiction book about toxic plants. (I’m starting to see why I sometimes get odd looks at the library when I’m waiting to check out with my stack of books.)
Visit Sofie Kelly's website.

My Book, The Movie: Curiosity Thrilled the Cat.

--Marshal Zeringue