Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Kate Heartfield

Kate Heartfield is the author of the historical fantasy novel Armed in Her Fashion and two time-travel novellas from Tor.com Publishing, beginning with Alice Payne Arrives. She has also published several dozen short stories and an interactive novel for Choice of Games. A former journalist, she lives in Ottawa.

Recently I asked Heartfield about what she was reading:
I'm just about to dig in to an advance reading copy of Mahimata by Rati Mehrotra. She's a very talented Toronto writer. Mahimata is the sequel to Markswoman, a fantasy novel about a sisterhood of elite, knife-wielding warriors. I'm looking forward to more of the nuanced character relationships and thoughtful worldbuilding.

In the meantime, I'm finishing up Every River Runs to Salt by Rachael K. Jones. This is a novella, a length I really enjoy as both a reader and a writer. And this novella is a must-read, about a woman who steals the Pacific Ocean in a jar and has to face the consequences. It's about the geography and culture of the United States, in a very deep way, and as a Canadian, I'm sure there are subtleties I'm missing. But I'm fully enjoying the prose, the story-craft and the characterization.
Visit Kate Heartfield's website.

The Page 69 Test: Alice Payne Arrives.

--Marshal Zeringue