Sunday, August 11, 2019

T. Greenwood

T. Greenwood is the author of thirteen novels. She has received grants from the Sherwood Anderson Foundation, the Christopher Isherwood Foundation, the National Endowment for the Arts, and the Maryland State Arts Council. She has won three San Diego Book Awards. Five of her novels have been BookSense76/IndieBound picks. Bodies of Water was finalist for a Lambda Foundation award.

Greenwood's new novel is Keeping Lucy.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Her reply:
Because I am a teacher as well as a writer, I don't have a lot of time for pleasure reading during the school year. I save most of my TBR list for the summers when I am at our cabin in Vermont. I usually fill a banker's box with books as well as load up my Kindle and renew my library card in anticipation.

This summer I have read about eight books so far. I just finished Colson Whitehead's The Nickel Boys which, like Keeping Lucy, was based on a real (and now defunct) house of horrors -- a reform school for wayward boys. It is a spare book, but packs a potent punch. This was my first Whitehead book, but now I am looking forward to his backlist. I also read, and enjoyed, The Gifted School by Bruce Holsinger (a timely book about parental ambition). If you are a fan of Tom Perrotta, you might enjoy this one. I also was able to get my paws on an ARC of My Dark Vanessa, the highly anticipated and buzzy novel by Kate Elizabeth Russell. It is about the complexities and nuances of consent in the #metoo era. I am also currently listening to Ocean Vuong read his luminous novel On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous. It should be required reading in all American Literature classes as it explores the immigrant experience, but with the language and insight of a poet. I am most looking forward to The Reckless Oath We Made by Bryn Greenwood and Gods With a Little G by Tupelo Hassman. These two women are authors whose work I admire so much; the fact that they both have books coming out in August is such a gift.
Visit T. Greenwood's website.

My Book, The Movie: Rust and Stardust.

The Page 69 Test: Rust and Stardust.

--Marshal Zeringue