Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Andrei Markovits

Andrei S. Markovits is the Karl W. Deutsch Collegiate Professor of Comparative Politics and German Studies at the University of Michigan, and the author of Uncouth Nation: Why Europe Dislikes America.

Last week I asked him what he was reading. His reply:
Alas, I read virtually no literature and no novels. My bad.

I read seven to eight newspapers every day:
They are: The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Financial Times, Le Monde, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, Sueddeutsche Zeitung, Der Standard, The Ann Arbor News, The Jerusalem Post and La Gazetta dello Sport.

Then I read with regularity The New York Review of Books, The American Prospect, The New Republic, Dissent, The New Statesman, Der Spiegel, Profil, Times Literary Supplement.

The latest books that I have read in the past two months were these:
Genevieve Zubrzycki, The Crosses of Auschwitz
Jeffrey Herf, The Jewish Enemy
Jerome Karabel, The Chosen
Gustave de Beaumont, Ireland
Bassam Tibi, Europa ohne Identität?
Bernard Harrison, The Resurgence of Anti-Semitism

I continue to read voraciously everything that I can find on anti-Semitism and anti-Americanism -- and trust me, there is a lot on both.

And I am commencing a whole new area of research and interest focusing on the changed discourse by humans towards animals, dogs in particular. So I have read the works of Marjorie Garber, Jon Katz and Peter Singer with many more to follow.

And lastly, I do keep up with my profession's literature by reading key scholarly journals such as The American Political Science Review, Comparative Politics, World Politics, German Politics and Society, German Politics, West European Politics and International Organization.
In addition to Uncouth Nation, Markovits's many other books and publications include Offside: Soccer and American Exceptionalism.

He is one of the authors of "American Liberalism and the Euston Manifesto."

Read his paper, "Sports Culture Among Undergraduates: A Study of Student-Athletes and Students at the University of Michigan," and the description of his new research project into Human-Animal relationships, "The New Discourse of Dogs."

He is a Deadhead, and also likes Mozart, Beethoven, and Dvořák.

The Page 69 Test: Uncouth Nation
.

--Marshal Zeringue