Thursday, May 24, 2007

Garance Franke-Ruta

Garance Franke-Ruta is a senior editor at The American Prospect magazine. She has also worked at The Washington City Paper, The New Republic, and National Journal magazine, and had stories, criticism, or reviews published in them and: The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, The Dallas Morning News, The Washington Monthly, Salon, The Utne Reader and Legal Affairs magazine.

I recently asked her what she was reading. Her reply:
Alas, I do so much blog and periodical reading on a daily basis I have little time for longer works right now, even though so many interesting ones come into the office on a daily basis that I could happily fill my days with nothing but reading them. I do most of my blog reading these days on an RSS feeder, NetNewswire. This allows me to scan 36 domestic politics blogs, 4 American newspapers, 2 Israeli papers, 11 foreign policy blogs, 9 media blogs, and 2 blogs on women's issues. I check in with different parts of my feed anywhere between once every few days to once an hour. Additionally, I read two to three other papers online with some irregularity, and check in with half a dozen magazines and dozens of other blogs on politics, design, and society at least once a week.

In terms of books, right now I am looking forward to reading my colleague Tara McKelvey's Monstering: Inside America's Policy of Secret Interrogations and Torture in the Terror War, which I've just begun. Also on the bedside table are Anthony Shadid's Night Draws Near: Iraq's People in the Shadow of America's War and The Caged Virgin: An Emancipation Proclamation for Women and Islam by Ayaan Hirsi Ali.
Visit Garance Franke-Ruta's website, theGarance.com, and The American Prospect.

--Marshal Zeringue