Thursday, May 17, 2012

Alex Adams

Alex Adams was born in New Zealand, raised in Greece and Australia, and currently lives in Oregon–which is a whole lot like New Zealand, minus those freaky-looking wetas.

Her new novel is White Horse, the first volume in a debut trilogy.

Not so long ago I asked Adams what she was reading.  Her reply:
Ours is a two-writer household, so there are books piled everywhere—even the kitchen island holds a "his" and 'hers" stack. I find rooms without books to be strange and lacking in character--a bit like a house without pets or a bit of dust.

At any given time I'm working my way through at least two books—often more. I have upstairs books and downstairs books, books for reading during the day (hard copies), books for reading at night if my fiance is playing a video game in the dark (I love my iPad). And they're always a mix of genres. I'm a very promiscuous reader: if the premise interests me I'll read it, regardless of where the bookstore shelves it.

It's been an intense couple of weeks, with my debut novel hitting the shelves, so Claire Gillian's The P.U.R.E is exactly what I need right now: smart, funny, and fast-paced. And lo and behold this wonderful surprise: the love interests actually like each other as people from the beginning. That's a romance I can believe in.

I've barely cracked the spine on The Age of Miracles, but Karen Thompson Walker's prose is sigh-worthy. The premise trapped me from the get-go: the earth's rotation is slowing and as a result the days are growing longer, gravity is failing, and the world begins to fall apart.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline is my bedroom book at the moment. I'm reading it in tiny mouthfuls because I don't want it to be over. It's like a video game, but it's a book!

Rounding out my list is Devon Monk's Allie Beckstrom series. I can't even tell you which one I'm reading right now, because by the time you read it I'll be onto the next one, or the one after that. Her books are like potato chips and I want to read them all.
Visit Alex Adams's website and blog.

My Book, The Movie: White Horse.

--Marshal Zeringue