Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Katie Ganshert

Katie Ganshert was born and raised in the Midwest, where she writes stories about finding faith and falling in love. When she’s not busy plotting her next novel, she enjoys watching movies with her husband, playing make-believe with her wild-child of a son, and chatting with her girlfriends over bagels.

Her recently released debut novel is Wildflowers from Winter.

Late last month I asked Ganshert what she was reading. Her reply:
Reading is one of my favorite things to do. Whether I’m sitting on my porch swing out in the sun while my son runs around the backyard or curled up under the covers in bed, there’s nothing quite like getting lost in a good book.

I prefer reading two books at once. One that I listen to on audio (usually while cleaning), another that I read.

I recently finished Submerged, a romantic suspense by debut novelist, Dani Pettrey. I believe this is the first romantic suspense I’ve ever read, and I have to say, it was a great introduction to the genre. I really enjoyed the characters, the fast-paced storyline, and the great romantic set up for book two.

Right now, the book I’m reading is called Wish You Were Here, a debut novel by Beth Vogt. Between the cover and the hook, I couldn’t resist opening this one up. The story is about Allison Denman, who realizes five days before her wedding that everything is all wrong. The huge wedding. The frothy dress. And the groom. After an unexpected kiss from her brother-in-law, Allison turns into a runaway bride. She finds herself staying with her llama-rescuing, quirky aunt while she tries to fix the giant mess she left behind. This has definitely been a fun read, one that keeps me turning the pages.

The book I’m listening to on audio is called The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak. It’s set in Nazi Germany and follows a young girl named Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside Munich. According to the back cover, it’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery...

Oh yeah. The narrator is death. Yep, you heard that correctly. Death tells the story. And wow….talk about an incredibly unique twist. With multi-faceted characters, beautiful prose, and a seductive voice, this one has me captivated. It would be a perfect book club selection.

Next on the docket is The Pursuit of Lucy Banning by Olivia Newport. This one is a historical set in high-society Chicago during the late 1800s. I’ve been hearing really great things about this one, so I’m eager to dive in.
Visit Katie Ganshert's website and blog.

See--Coffee with a Canine: Katie Ganshert & Bubba.

--Marshal Zeringue