Saturday, May 26, 2012

Jessie Knadler

Jessie Knadler is a writer whose articles and stories have appeared in publications ranging from the Wall Street Journal to Glamour. She is the coauthor of the preserving cookbook Tart and Sweet.

Her blog rurallyscrewed.com has been featured in Newsweek and French Elle and on Jezebel.com. She lives with her husband, her daughter, and a bunch of chickens in Lexington, Virginia.

Knadler's new book is Rurally Screwed: My Life Off the Grid with the Cowboy I Love.

Not so long ago I asked her what she was reading.  Knadler's reply:
I’m reading a book recommended to me by my father, The Dog of the South by Charles Portis (of True Grit fame), published in 1979. I make a point of reading every book my dad suggests because he’s the most avid reader I know and has never steered me wrong even though half the books he recommends aren’t ones I’d think to pick up on my own. What I love most about Portis’s underappreciated “redneck quest novel” is the utterly ludicrous but weirdly spot-on dialogue. He has an unparalleled ear for voices that is somehow not self conscious or showy or “watch the writer try to be funny” in the slightest. I found myself gasping in wonder on numerous occasions.
Visit Jessie Knadler's blog.

--Marshal Zeringue