Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Augusta Scattergood

Augusta Scattergood is a former librarian turned book reviewer turned middle-grade author. Her books include Glory Be and The Way to Stay in Destiny.

Her latest book is Making Friends with Billy Wong.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Scattergood's reply:
I always have more books halfway finished than I can even remember. But I just returned from a writing retreat at the Highlights Foundation. While there, I got to see Meg Medina receive her Artist-in-Residence award, and all of us were given her new novel, Burn Baby Burn.

True confessions- I don't read a lot of YA. I'm a middle-grade reader at heart. But this book- well, all I can say is that the National Book Award committee knew what they were doing when they listed this edgy, interesting, historically accurate, fabulous book.

I also just finished Moo by Sharon Creech. I'm a huge fan of Creech's books and this could be my favorite. I love the way the words dance on the pages. I love the story. I think it would make a great read-aloud.

Next up? Some Writer! The Story of E.B. White, by Melissa Sweet. I'm going to review this one soon, and the publisher sent me an Advanced Readers Copy this summer. But now I have the real deal. It's fabulous.
Visit Augusta Scattergood's website and blog.

The Page 69 Test: The Way to Stay in Destiny.

The Page 69 Test: Making Friends with Billy Wong.

--Marshal Zeringue