Thursday, September 8, 2016

Gae Polisner

Gae Polisner is the award-winning author of The Summer of Letting Go and The Pull of Gravity. A family law attorney and mediator by trade, but a writer by calling, she lives on Long Island and swims in the open waters of the Long Island Sound.

Polisner's new novel is The Memory of Things.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Her reply:
I just finished Barbara Kingsolver’s Flight Behavior, which absolutely blew me away writing-wise from its first compelling sentence:

A certain feeling comes from throwing your good life away, and it is one part rapture.

Oh, how I wish I wrote that and pretty much every other sentence in the book.

The story centers on a woman whose staid life falls wide open when she happens upon the unexplainable: the migration of millions of monarch butterflies to her family’s failing Tennessee farm. The book is a magnificent musing on marriage, self, politics, education, the environment and more. I picked it up because I read so much YA for my own writing purposes that I miss and crave to read more adult fiction.

It had been years since I had read Kingsolver but remembered finding her brilliant then (The Poisonwood Bible) and found her even more brilliant now.

Think I may have to go on a BK bender this fall.
Visit Gae Polisner's website.

The Page 69 Test: The Summer of Letting Go.

The Page 69 Test: The Memory of Things.

--Marshal Zeringue